Wednesday 4 September 2013

DIY Crop Top


In my effort to use my wardrobe more creatively, this week I'm showing you how to make a crop top out of old tights or leggings! Re-using old things is all part of living a more sustainable life. This is a tip I've been given by a friend of mine, so I thought I would give it a try. Thankfully, it is super easy to do and you will have your crop top in three simple steps!



But first, here is what you need:

- An old pair of tights or leggings
- Scissors
- Needle & Thread
- Stretchy Lace

I have tons of old or torn tights stuffed into a drawer in my dresser and I never ever wear them! For the project, I chose a pair of thick cream Penneys leggings that have become loose and baggy. Regarding the lace, choose whatever colour or pattern you like, just make sure its the stretchy kind!

To create the neckline of your crop top, you are just going to cut out the crotch of your tights. I decided to cut them in a circle, but you could try going for a V-neck or any other shape. I was worried at first, that the hole may not be big enough, but because the leggings were so stretchy and loose, it ended up being almost too big, creating quite a low neckline.





To stop the top from frizzling out, I trimmed the neckline with black lace. Bending the lace over the edge of the fabric, I made sure to fix it to both the outside as well as the inside of the leggings.
I used stretchy lace, to keep the neckline flexible, making the top easier to pull on and off. If your neckline is wide enough, you could also use regular lace, or a nice piece of fabric!
Trimming the neckline made it a bit firmer and stopped the top from slipping over my shoulders.









And ta-daah! Finished is your crop top, now all you have to do is wear it! As it's already getting colder in Northern Ireland, I think this top will come in very handy as a pair of extra sleeves to wear under some of my favourite t-shirts.

Do you know of any other ways to re-use old tights or clothes? Why not share them with us!


No comments:

Post a Comment